Giving What We Have

Maybe sometimes we feel that we do not have much to give.  And so we do not give at all.  Peter and John knew that they themselves did not have much and could not give to the lame man what he was asking for, but they did know they had something else to give: the gift of faith.  In fact what they had to give was much more important and impactful than silver or gold.  What they had to offer seemed useless and impractical to the world - words? faith? "How can that fill my stomach?"  "How can that change my situation right now?"

The lame man in the reading today (Acts 3:1-10) begged for alms, looked at Peter and John, and expected to receive something from them.  The Apostles said to him, "Look at us," and Peter said "I have neither silver nor gold, but what I do have I give you." We are told that the man expected to receive something from them - perhaps what he has been begging for: money.  I can just imagine this man sitting by the gate day after day waiting for someone to give him some money or bring a doctor to him, and growing comfortable in that role.  Perhaps the man had become paralyzed by what he thought he needed.  Maybe he thought what he needed most was silver and gold so that he could buy food and maintain life, but in fact he needed much more, and so when he did not receive what he expected, he remained by the gate waiting for someone to give him silver and gold.  In other words, the man has allowed what he thought he needed most to paralyze him, keeping him from moving forward and living life to the full.  

What about us?  Have we allowed what we wanted or expected to receive to keep us from living life to the fullest?  Has what we wanted but not received paralyze us and lead us to wallow in dissatisfaction, discontent, negativity, and self-pity?  When we pray and do not receive what we had hoped for, let us remember that the Father always give us what we need and not necessarily what we want.  The Father knows best what we truly need and what is truly best for us.  The lame man thought he needed silver and gold and so he begged for them.  However, Peter and John offered to the man something different, and through them God gave to the man what he truly needed from the depths of his heart: healing, spiritual and physical.  When the man begged for gold and silver, he received healing.  God always give to those who ask more than they can ever ask for.  So, instead of asking for silver and gold, let us ask for the grace to trust that God will give to us what we need and more, because when we do, God will always surprise us.

Today after mass and lunch I walked around downtown, and I saw this man sitting on the ground begging for money.  He was sitting by the traffic light post and I was standing there waiting for the light to change.  I looked at him and his handwritten sign.  I contemplated whether to say something to him or not.  Then I thought of today's reading.  Slowly I bent down and looked at him saying, "How are you?  What's your name?  Would you like to tell me your story?"  He began to tell me what happened to him.  Modeling after Peter and John I said to him "I do not really have much money to give you, but I can do I will do for you."  We got up and we went on a little adventure.  He said to me "God sent you to change my life today."  I replied, "Perhaps, God sent you to me today to teach me a great lesson." Before we parted, we shared a hug and we promised to pray for one another.

Never underestimate what we can do for others because it is really God who works through us.  When we give what we can, we allow ourselves to be used as instruments by God.  What God wants to give us is always immeasurably better than what we can ever think of asking for or expect.  Trust and let God give to you and to others through you much more than gold and silver.
     
Saints Peter and John Healing the Lame by Nicolas Poussin

Comments

  1. Most of the time it is not obvious what God has given me is good and valuable. Look at what others have, much more than me and all that I ever wanted. But me, I do not have the slightest of what I ever dream of. I long for all of those, not just material things, but all that love and tenderness of a good family, good friends, good livelihood, etc. This is normal. This is our human nature. It is also because we are not near enough to God, not in close range to feel and understand His perspectives.
    What He has in mind for us, for our good, for eternity is far from what we can fathom, as if we are trying to look upon the sea to try to measure how deep it is by pure eye sight. We heard that He chastises us to make us a better human being; sometimes, but not always. Chastisement has meaning for correction, but not to inflict hurt and suffering. Nobody will be able to do harm and malicious deeds in order to gain a positive outcome. Even if a profit can be made by treacherous deeds, but the outcome will be punishment and hell. God will not allow it. Our sight is not far enough to see beyond our short term of vision. When the Devil is trying to inflict pain, remorse and guilt on you through temptation, and you fell for it. "No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed difficult when what we desire in life does not become a reality. It is especially hard when it involves other people. We cannot control how others think, act, perceive or behave. We can only change and alter our own. So, when others seemingly fail to not live up to what we would like, we must look at our own selves and see why it affects us in a certain way. What are some ways I can change how I perceive or respond to things so that I will not experience the sadness and sorrow that I have come to learn. However, like with the Prodigal Son (https://reflectionsofabelovedson.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-prodigal-son-and-our-belovedness-in.html), those moments of sadness are moments of tremendous grace. The Father is inviting us to turn to Him and to see that all that we desire, humans, even our own families cannot satisfy or fulfill. Only God can. As far as chastisements and in relation to what was said earlier, the author of the Letter of Hebrews tell us, "...for whom the Lord loves he disciplines...endure your trials as 'discipline;' God treats you as sons. For what 'son' is there whom his father does not discipline?" (12:6-7). The Father seeks to fulfill our desires and give us the joy and peace we seek. We were loved into existence and we are sustained in the Father's love for us. God has "loved us with an everlasting love" (Jer. 31:3). Let us persevere and pray for one another. Peace and all good!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part I

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part II

People of One Heart and Mind

When Jesus Descended into Hell

"It is I" - The Three Words that Casts Out All Fear