Be Merciful to Me

Guilt. Shame. Hopelessness. These are the things that can weigh us down and may even paralyze us.  In today's Gospel reading, Jesus tells a parable about a Pharisee and a tax collector who are in the temple.  The Pharisee begins to pray out loud thanking God that he is not like the other sinful people and not like the tax collector.  We are told that the tax collector kept his head down, "beat his breast and prayed, 'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.'"  Jesus told the crowd that the tax collector went home justified and not the Pharisee.   

What's the point of Jesus' parable?  Sometimes we may feel entitled and we begin to allow our pride to take over, judging others and thinking we are better than them.  Even when we reflect we may sometimes say "I know I'm a sinner, but at least I did not kill anyone or did anything as bad as that guy."  That is no different than what the Pharisee said.  Though it may be true that what you did may not be on the same caliber as murdering someone, but at the end of the day sin is sin, and only God can tell us what's what and only He can judge us.  It is none of our business what sins other people commit, we need to worry about our own and know that I am a sinner just like the other person.  I am no better.  Yet God shows mercy on everyone.  

The Pharisee failed to see that though he did not commit adultery, murder, or any heinous crime, he was still a sinner, and because he did not acknowledge he was a sinner, he was not justified.  On the other hand, the tax collector recognized that he was a sinner and begged God for mercy, and it was granted unto him.  God is merciful, but if we do not recognize our own sinfulness and come before God with a contrite heart and ask for mercy, we will not be forgiven and justified.      

The lesson I've learned from this parable is threefoldFirst, there are times when I have been the Pharisee, putting myself above others and dwell in self-righteousness, being blind to my own sin and shortcomings.  However, if I remain in this state, I will fail to seek God's mercy and I will not be justified, falling out of communion with God.  Second, there are times when I get get too hard on myself and letting the weight of my sin to keep me from seeing my goodness and from believing that God loves me.  I am a sinner and I will keep sinning, but as long as I am sorry and seek God's forgiveness with a sincere heart, He will always be ready to forgive.  God's forgiveness is stronger than my sins.  Third, God wants to forgive and wants me to be with Him, but he will not force me.  I need to want to be forgiven and to be with Him.  I need to ask for it.  There must be action on my part.

No matter how many times we sin, as long as we return to God with a sincere and contrite heart and implore God saying "O God, be merciful to me a sinner," the Father will always forgive us and bring us into His embrace.  This magnificent gift should make us want to do better.  That is the grace that comes with Reconciliation.  When was the last time you went to confession?  God wants to give you the graces that you need.  God wants to release the anguish that your sins bring to you.  Let Him.  Return to God with your whole heart and ask for forgiveness.  He's ready and waiting.    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part I

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part II

People of One Heart and Mind

When Jesus Descended into Hell

"It is I" - The Three Words that Casts Out All Fear