Being Bold with Christ

"Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us" (Jn. 14:8).  That is what Philip asked of Jesus.  At this point Jesus had said that He is the way, the truth, and the life and that no one can go to the Father except through Him.  But then Philip wanted more.  He wanted to see the Father.  In being bold, Philip may seem to not have been not listening well!  But, nonetheless, Philip wanted intimacy with the Father.

Initially Philip may come across as "What?  Why is he asking that?  Did he not hear what Jesus just said?"  But on the other hand, it could be because Philip listened intently to "No one comes to the Father except through me," that He then asked Jesus to show him the Father.  If Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and all who wishes to go to the Father must go through Him, then it was fitting for Philip to ask Jesus that question.  Though Jesus seemed a bit annoyed and disappointed, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip?"  But Jesus tells Philip something very important right after, "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father."  Because Philip was bold in asking Jesus offered a catechesis that would forever be imprinted on the Apostles' hearts and would later be the source of their faith.

We must be bold in asking God for what we need and desire.  God wants to grant them to us.  "Whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it" (Jn. 14:13-14).  The Father and the Son are one.  What the Son does or say comes from the Father.

Father, teach me to be bold in asking and to not withhold anything from you, for you know all things and are eager to give.  Give me the deep trust to know that whatever I ask in your Son's name, you will do if it should be in accordance with your most holy will - our sustenance and food.

The Sending of the Twelve bu Duccio di Buoninsegna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part I

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part II

People of One Heart and Mind

When Jesus Descended into Hell

"It is I" - The Three Words that Casts Out All Fear