Who are You Following?

"My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me."  In our daily lives, what do we use to determine how we live that day?  What are criteria that dictates how we choose to respond to others and situations?  Do we stand on the shoulders of those gone before us or do we desire to start from scratch and make a name for ourselves?  Do we follow in the footsteps of those who have walked before us or do we lead our own lives according to our subjective truths?  Do we follow or do we walk alone?

In the Gospels we often hear the descriptors, "followers," "disciples," "sheep," "flock" and others.  We are told that Jesus is the Good Shepherd who watches over His sheep and lays down His life for them.  It is comforting to hear Jesus say, "No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father's hand" (Jn. 10:28b-29).  If we allow the Lord to lead us, He will not allow anyone to harm us.  The devil will not have a chance at all.  But, we must choose to follow.

To follow does not mean to be inferior or submissive.  Rather, to follow means to be loved and to love.  In following the Good Shepherd, we are following the One who is with the Father, who calls us His beloved sons and daughters.  As sons and daughters of the Father, we are also called to lead.  Now, you might say, well that sort of contradicts what you said about needing to be followers.  It does not; let me explain.  Before we can lead, we must know how to follow.  Because when one truly and authentically leads, they are continually being led.  We lead the people to the Father, who is leading us.  So, in leading others, we are following Christ and in following Christ we are leading others. 

So, today let us ask ourselves the question, "Who am I following?"  Am I following the Good Shepherd who leads me to the flock of His Father where there is true love and eternal happiness or am I following the "shepherds" of the world who leads only to the fold of worldly desires and temporary joy and selfish love?  We were created for what is eternal.  Let us forego what is temporary and mundane and follow only the Good Shepherd, who with the Father is One and eternal. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part I

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part II

People of One Heart and Mind

When Jesus Descended into Hell

"It is I" - The Three Words that Casts Out All Fear