The Better Part?

When Jesus went to His friend, Lazarus' home his two sisters, Mary and Martha played host.  Martha was busy cleaning the house and preparing foods while Mary was entertaining and keeping Jesus company.  Martha seemingly got a bit annoyed and asked if Jesus was going to tell Mary to help her.  Jesus said "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.  There is need of only one thing.  Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her." 

Our Lord validates Martha in what she was doing, but also challenges her to see things a little differently.  It is important to clean the house and prepare the food, but it is also important to be with your guest - the entire reason for the cleaning and cooking.  Jesus wasn't saying to abandon the cleaning and cooking, but maybe to prioritize more accordingly.  I often find myself doing the same thing - tidying up the house, washing the dishes, clearing the table, etc, and not really spending quality time with my friends and family who are over.  My friends and family want, more than anything, to spend time with me, talking with me, listening to me and learning how my life has been.  Likewise, more than anything else, God wants to know how you have been. 

The Father desires you - not what you can do, but just you.  Put all things in perspective, and you will find yourself not worried and anxious about many things but rather peaceful and joyful, knowing that you are loved and trusting that God will give you all the grace you need for whatever should come your way.

Father, teach me to seek You first and above all things.  Give me a heart that is trusting and believing.  When problems arise and anxieties come, give me the grace to call out to You and to trust that You will see me through them.   

Christ in the House of Martha and Mary by Johannes (Jan) Vermeer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part I

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part II

People of One Heart and Mind

When Jesus Descended into Hell

"It is I" - The Three Words that Casts Out All Fear