Station I - Jesus is Condemned to Death

Standing before Pilate, Jesus is bleeding everywhere, struggling to breathe, and trying His best to stay standing.  Our Lord has been betrayed by His friend, tied up, led from the garden like a criminal, dragged around, spat upon, shoved and punched to the ground, denied by His trusted friend - treated like a victim fallen prey to a bunch of broken and wounded bullies.  "Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered."

Our Lord did not rebel and shout, calling out "Unfair!"  Rather, He accepted and endured all that came to Him.  "Like a lamb led to slaughter or a sheep silent before his shearers he opened not his mouth."  Out of obedience to His Father and out of love for us, Jesus endured the unjust suffering.  Though unjust, it was redemptive.  It is truly wrong and unjust that Jesus was mistreated the way He was, but Our Lord saw the bigger picture and He chose to remain faithful to His Father and persevered in carrying out His will.

Have there been times when I felt mistreated or treated unjustly?  When was the last time I was misunderstood or was falsely accused of something?  How did I respond?  Did I try to prove my innocence with all my strength and willpower or did I turn to the Father and offer it up?  May I always remember that I am not alone and that You, Lord know how it feels to be mistreated and betrayed - even by Your closest friends.  And through it all, You forgave them and continued to love them.  How about me?  Whenever I am falsely condemned may I always turn to the Cross and join my suffering to the Yours.

Father, make me know that even when everyone else doubts me, accuses me, or misunderstands me, You know the truth, and you say to me "My son, I know, I know. Come and rest in me."  Teach me too that through this suffering, good will come.


by Georges Rouault

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part I

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part II

People of One Heart and Mind

When Jesus Descended into Hell

"It is I" - The Three Words that Casts Out All Fear