Following in Love

“Do you love me?” Jesus asks Peter this question three times. Each time He gives Peter a command and mission. Jesus was restoring Peter to his place and reminding him of the great task that He has entrusted to him – to be the shepherd of His flock here on earth. For every time Peter denied Him, Jesus gave him the opportunity to reconcile. Afterwards Jesus described to Peter the nature of discipleship – we will sometimes be led to where we rather not go. Then Jesus extends to Peter the invitation, “Follow me.” When we fall short, Jesus asks us, “Do you love me” not to make us feel guilty, but to remind us of how much He loves us. He only seeks to forgive, reconcile, restore, and invite. 

Today, Jesus invites us to relationship with Him. He asks us, “Do you love me?” He meets us where we are and walks with us as we journey along. He sees our wounds, pains, brokenness, and says to us “I love you. Just as I show you my wounds so you can show me yours. Our wounds are not something to be ashamed of because it can bring much hope and love. Now, follow me.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part I

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part II

People of One Heart and Mind

When Jesus Descended into Hell

"It is I" - The Three Words that Casts Out All Fear