In the Stillness of Our Hearts

As humans we have a longing for intimacy and for relationship. We are wired for love because that is from and out of which we are created. Whether on the surface or deep down we have a desire to be with people. In my experience, sometimes being in a place at night with no one around, especially in new and unfamiliar places it can be daunting and sometimes there is fear. But once there is another person there, this fear usually goes away. Have you ever experienced that before?

This deep longing for relationship comes from an even deeper desire – the one relationship from which all others become possible, our relationship with God. Sometimes we may feel far and distant from God or that we do not know how to “get in touch” with God. So, we try to look for Him in things and other people. But, first we ought to go to the place were God speaks to us – in the stillness of our heart. The Prophets tell us that God was not in the earthquake or fire, but rather God was in the “tiny, whispering sound,” at which Elijah hid his face. God comes to us in the silence of our hearts. Let us seek to listen to this small quiet voice in the midst of this noisy world by looking inward into our hearts and when we do, let us say, “I long to see your face, O Lord.” Do you hear Him? God says, “I long to see you, too.”

This picture is the place where I spent 30 days in silent retreat. Everyday I would come here 2 or 3 times an hour at a time to pray and be with the Lord. It is in the stillness of my heart that He comes to meet me. The beauty of His creation reminds me of His love and care for me. He longs to see you, too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part I

The Prodigal Son and Our Belovedness in the Father, Part II

People of One Heart and Mind

When Jesus Descended into Hell

"It is I" - The Three Words that Casts Out All Fear